There are many, many vegetarian recipes that are easy to prepare and delicious to eat. You might be surprised at what you can find when you take the time to look for vegetarian recipes that are simple to fix. In a busy society such as the one we live in, easy to make recipes are almost essential for the weekday vegetarian cook. Here are a couple that can get you started:
Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
* 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1/4 cup salsa
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 2 tablespoons butter, divided
* 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
* 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened, roughly 2 minutes. Stir in beans and corn, then add sugar, salsa, and pepper flakes; mix well. Cook until heated thoroughly, roughly 3 minutes.
2. Melt 2 teaspoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Lay a tortilla in the skillet, sprinkle cheese evenly over it, then top with some of the bean mixture. Place another tortilla on top, cook until golden, then flip and cook on the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
California Grilled Veggie Sandwich
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/8 cup olive oil
* 1 cup sliced red bell peppers
* 1 small zucchini, sliced
* 1 red onion, sliced
* 1 small yellow squash, sliced
* 2 (4-x6-inch) focaccia bread pieces, split horizontally
* 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
3. Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to the center of the grill, and place onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for an additional 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill, and set aside.
4. Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides of the bread, and cover each one with feta cheese sprinkled. Place on the grill cheese side up, and cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes. This will warm the bread, and melt the cheese slightly. Watch carefully so the bottoms don’t burn. Remove from grill, and layer with the vegetables. Enjoy as open faced grilled sandwiches.
Pesto with Arugula
* 1 1/2 cups baby arugula leaves
* 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
* 2/3 cup pine nuts
* 8 cloves garlic
* 1 (6 ounce) can black olives, drained
* 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1/2 lime, juiced
* 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the arugula, basil, pine nuts, garlic, and olives in a food processor, and chop the paste until it is coarse. Mix in olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Process until well blended and smooth.
These are only a few recipes to get you started, but take a good look around at various resources, and you will find many, many easy vegetarian recipes that are quick to make and delicious as well!